top of page

Keeping Your Home Within the Law

As a property owner, you should be aware of your legal responsibilities when having any electrical work completed in your house. If all you are doing is changing a light bulb, you shouldn’t have to worry, however if, for example, you wished to rewire your home, install an electric shower or run lights or power to a garage/shed, Part P states that the work would have to be notified to your Local Authority Building Control department before you begin.

This notification is particularly important when moving house, because a Building Control compliance certificate is required by the buyer's solicitors to show that any electrical work carried out at the house on behalf of the seller is safe. In other words, failure to comply could have an effect on the future sale of the home and the onus is on the homeowner to ensure the work has been notified, which can be a time-consuming and costly process. Alternatively, you can simply use a contractor registered with a government-approved Part P self-assessment scheme such as the NICEIC, whose Approved Contractors are regularly assessed to ensure they meet the standards laid down by government guidelines and can therefore Self Certify their work as meeting the Building Regulations.

Please feel free to contact us if you are unsure if the work you require counts as “Notifiable” and we will be happy to provide a professional assessment.

By choosing to use Orchard Electrical Services, you can be confident that not only will your work be diligently carried out by a qualified professional, it will be fully notified to the relevant Local Authority on your behalf.

bottom of page