top of page
  • _

Lightbulbs


I was called out recently, to a client who was having trouble with lightbulbs which kept failing or, in a couple of cases, falling out of the fitting, leaving the base in the light.

It turned out that the bulbs in question were too high a rating for the fitting, and this got me thinking. How many people actually check when they change a bulb, that it's the correct rating for the light?

I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but consider this; lightbulbs get hot (anyone who's ever touched one when it's on knows this) and the higher their rating, the hotter they get. That heat needs space to dissipate and if the light fitting is a smaller design, then there's nowhere for the heat to go. That's when problems arise.

Excess heat from a bulb that's too high a rating for the fitting can cause the bulbs to fail prematurely, or even damage the light fitting itself, as happened to the client concerned.

In extreme cases, this can even result in a fire risk. I've seen a couple of instances where very powerful bulbs have been placed inside small fabric lampshades and have ended up burning holes in the shades.

Always check that the bulb you're putting in a light is the correct rating for the fitting. The rating is normally labelled on the fitting, or inside the lampshade. If it's a new light fitting that's being installed, then the bulb rating should also be printed on the packaging.

It sounds obvious, I know, but I've seen this kind of problem more than once, and I think a lot of people just don't realise the possible dangers that can arise.




1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Online "How To" Videos

How many people have undertaken DIY around the house, using an online "how to" video as a guide? There are something like three million of them around, covering just about every possible project you c

Are Loose Connections Really That Serious?

A while ago, I wrote a post about poor or loose connections inside sockets and switches. Since then I've had quite a few people asking if that's really a big deal, so I thought I'd share what I found

Very Dangerous Wiring

I was called out recently by a repeat client, who said her bathroom light had started flickering. When I climbed up into the loft to check the problem, I found this. The wiring had been left sitting r

Comments


bottom of page