How many people have undertaken DIY around the house, using an online "how to" video as a guide? There are something like three million of them around, covering just about every possible project you could want.
The fact is, though, that some of the DIYers who post their "expert" advice don't always know their stuff. Some of the video guides out there are not just unhelpful, they can actually put you in danger.
Research by the charity Electrical Safety First found that around one in 12 people who undertook electrical work using an online video as a guide ended up either causing damage to their property or having to pay for costly repairs because the advice they followed was wrong.
Furthermore, one in 10 of those people had experienced an electric shock while carrying out the work.
To highlight the issue, Electrical Safety First have released a series of mock "how to" videos, which show the potential danger of following this kind of DIY instructions. Take a look at this one.
Electricity can be very dangerous, so please don't put yourself at risk. The internet is a great resource but it's no substitute for a competent, trained professional who knows how to get the job done properly and safely.